Friday, March 13, 2009

Broken House

I was reading an email from a Christian organization and the writer mentioned a "return of prosperity." These three words got me thinking about the prosperity that we once had as Americans. I say as Americans because the prosperity was pretty much limited to America and the western world. So this desire to have this "return of prosperity" is a somewhat ethnocentric desire. I am not writing this as a attack on the individual who wrote these words, but I think that we as Christians need to take a look at what our prosperity looked like to the rest of the world. We need to examine the prosperity that we so wholeheartedly took a part of, and we need to decide if that's what we really desire to return.

I am not going to write a lot about this because I have not done all of my homework, but I would recommend a couple books for people.

Jesus Wants to Save Christians - Rob Bell, Don Golden
The Irresistible Revolution - Shane Claiborne
Jesus For President - Shane Claiborne, Chris Haw

No comments: